Creativity, Innovation and Design Thinking in Business
Design thinking is all about bringing a lot of design visualising future that hasn’t come yet.
Design thinking is a much older concept, and it is more than just a word. This began with the ancient architects, artists, philosophers and innovators during the early civilisations.
It is a proven solution to various business problems and brings in major innovative ideas on board. Design thinking is a perfect combination of creativity and intellectual thinking which helps to organise things in order.
Design Thinking – The Concept
It’s a design methodology concept that provides a solution-based approach to problems, is useful in tackling complex issues that are unknown and re-frame the problems in human-centric ways by creating many ideas.
Design thinking and brand protection have been spreading to new industries or technological areas and can be applied to business segments which are in artistic circles and are concerned about customer needs or expectations.
It brings divergent views to the different problem statements which will result in getting to know new ideas and processes.
It is known as ‘Inclusive Design Thinking’, a method of designing mainstream products and services that can be accessed and used by as many people as possible without the need for any unique adaptation or specialised design.
Why Businesses need Design Thinking?
Design thinking has broad applicability and potential to revolutionise and disrupt existing enterprise architecture. The thoughtful design can lead to innovation and have stronger market sustainability.
With the help of strategic resources and enterprise tools, design registration can help the enterprises to gain competitive advantages in the age of modern data technology such as Big Data and Artificial Intelligence.
In this customer channelling era, enterprises do need to incorporate the design thinking concept in their product development process covering all aspects from its initiation to market release.
It is because:
- Customer-centric dynamics will be taken care of during the product prototyping stage to the market release stage. Along the way, the service is improved drastically, updating the customer needs and expectations in each step of the process.
- Enterprises can benefit from design-led problem solving and ensure that risk-taking, creativity and innovation are being applied to make the lives of the world’s most vulnerable and needed communities better.
For a business or an entrepreneur, to implement design thinking –
- First, Gather Information. It can be achieved through inspirational thought and discovering people demands.
- Second, Generate ideas by pushing the right method that results in significant design during the product crafting process.
- Third, concentrating on concrete ideas by building rough prototypes to make the product better.
- The fourth stage is all about storytelling to inspire others towards the action-oriented stage.
- And the final stage is innovation, which involves learning from the clients who will inspire us to redesign our product and suggesting changes as per their needs and experiences of using the product or service.
- Design thinking should focus on managing new markets and creating a distinct voice for your company or business.
Strategy is Important
Companies provide us with innovative and new ways of doing business and thinking. Many times they help us solve problems which we did not pay attention to or figured out another way for it.
Before Uber, we hailed a cab by standing perilously close to traffic with an arm in the air. After Uber, that seemed dumb.
Such companies do not invent or launch any product merely to sell something in the market. They think beyond and focus on how well their products or services can improve the way people live their lives.
The most exciting companies market us. They design their way to the top differently. They introduce to the world an altogether new category of product or service just as Uber has defined on-demand transportation in recent years.
These companies change the perspective of living life and make us feel other things outdated and costly. They develop a product or service, which caters to the needs of the people, make their lives simpler and solve their problems.
Winning the entrepreneurial game today isn’t about beating the competition at the old game. It is about inventing, creating and designing a whole new game—defining a new market category, designing it, developing it, and then becoming a leading pioneer of it.
You can’t build a top-notch company in an already existing market but what if you create your demand and become a leader of it. If you think that having the best product is all it takes to win, you’re going to lose.
Winning is more than that. Too many startups fail because they don’t have a category design strategy.
Innovators or Entrepreneurs have to focus on –
- Designing an exceptional product.
- Creating a company and business model for product delivery.
They feel that the product or service will speak up for itself and the world will accept it in the same way. Sometimes, this approach can work, but mostly it does not work in favour of the company or business.
Many entrepreneurs are also exploring a new side to design thinking, i.e. category design. This approach is a part of any business strategy where a product or service is introduced in the market to cater to customers needs as an act of solving their problems.
It reimagines the market with a different vision based on research, experience, data science or artificial intelligence. It is a journey which involves various stages like –
- Finding the problem with the help of your market insights as an initial step in the process.
- Defining the category name which depends on the type of market, the nature of the problem and the potential audience.
- Blueprint of your solution explaining the people involved, required processes or products to solve the problem.
- A solid point of view which is convincing and relevant to the solution. It must present the need to solve the problem and a better vision of the future.
- Prepare the company, business or at times the industry to work in unity to solve the category problem.