Your Trusted Guide to On-Page SEO for Magento 2 eCommerce Webstores
In our last blogpost titled “Basic SEO Tips for Your Magento 2 eCommerce Storefront” we discussed the basic SEO tips to boost prominence of Magento 2 websites. In addition to those tips, you have to perform on-page SEO for your digital storefront to secure top SERP slots in organic search results.
In the following paragraphs, we’ll discuss On-Page SEO for Magento 2 websites is easy and simple steps.
Magento 2 Canonical tags to avoid duplicate content
- Crawlers look down upon your content when there’re too many URLs to it.
Google provides a canonical tag to web admins through which they identify the main URL to crawlers.
- For Product page of your Magento 2 webstore you need to set a canonical tag
- for product variations like size and colour. You also need to identify products belonging to different categories.
- You also need a canonical tag for Category pages.
Hreflang tags ofr multi-store view
- Your Magento 2 webstore may have the same content in English on different URLs for your target audience in the UK, USA, New Zealand and Canada. The pages may have very minute variations like currency and price. Google may not be able to understand your intention and consider your content as duplicate.
- To solve this issue, the Hreflang tag was introduced. Along with this code, you should specify every existing URLs to your site. These URLs can have the same content in the same language or different ones but targeted at different geographical regions.
Integrating social share
- A social share button is for your customers and webstore visitors to share their favourite items on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and others. Integrating social share to your website proves helpful to raise both traffic and visibility for your Magento 2 website.
- However, Magento 2 doesn’t allow this button for social integration by default. Therefore, you either need to hire a magento developer to include the feature in your webstore or download and install a free module from the Magento marketplace.
Research on keywords and competitors
- The main objective of optimising your Magento 2 storefront for the search engines is to get it as high as possible on SERP listing for relevant keyword searches from your target audience. Keyword research is therefore a crucial factor to achieve success in the aspect of on-page SEO. Google offers a free tool called keyword planner for the purpose. SEMRush and Ahrefs are two other renowned alternatives for keyword research. These tools not only help you select the right keywords but they also allow you to take a note of your competitors’ activities, including the keywords they selected as primary search strings.
- As far as your Magento 2 storefront is considered, you should select a single keyword for each of your page or topic. It is also important to identify a primary keyword to target each page.
- Make sure, every URL is unique as well as optimised for the primary keyword of a page. When your URLs have relevant titles, Google easily understands what a page is about. Make sure that your URLs are crisp and include relevant keywords.
- For Magento 2 websites, it’s okay to ignore the category and sub-category sections. This not only helps keeping your URLs shorter but also maintaining higher density in your keywords.
Meta titles for Magento 2 websites
- Your meta titles are crucial because visitors make the first impression about your Magento 2 website from those meta titles. Meta titles also affect your click-through rates (CTR). Most importantly, you must include the primary keyword of a page in its meta title.
- As far as Magento 2 is concernced, your meta title must always be within the range of 50 to 60 characters.
- Actionable words like “shop now”, “buy now” and others boost the urge of clicking among your visitors.
- Highlight the selling points of your items, like 24/7 Support, Free Delivery and others.
Meta description for Magento 2 websites
- While performing Magento 2 SEO, make sure that your meta description provides visitors with additional information about your products. With a Magento 2 storefront, you can easily manage thousands of products.
- But creating a unique meta description for thousands of products is undoubtedly challenging. The Magento 2 Meta Tags Template helps creating meta content in bulk. It makes your task easier by allowing to use variables like product attribute and category name to generate unique descriptions.
Breadcrumbs for Magento 2 websites
- Breadcrumbs are of two types; the one in search results displays the product navigation path while that of the product sets the category, sub category of the product in the same page.
- Breadcrumbs are a smart solution to facilitate better user navigation through almost any Magento 2 website.
- When you don’t provide relevant content to your products, search bots judge your Product page having low-quality content. This affects higher SERP ranking.
- Never stop short from writing detailed and informative content about your products. This not only helps search bots but also your visitors.
- Use H1, H2 and H3 tags for your descriptions.
Never miss the primary keyword from the heading.
- Include the main keywords in the first and the last 150 words of your description.
- The main keyword should have a density higher than 3% but lesser then 5%.
Include internal links to related products.
Content generated by users: Review, Rating and Q&A
- The content generated by users is more effective to gain trustworthiness for your business. This also helps your pages or products that have very little informataion.
- By default, Magento 2 allows both ratings and reviews.
- The Q&A section is very helpful as it allows more interaction for users with your site. This not only increases their time on your page but also lowers your bounce rate.
Content for Category page
- The Category page also requires content just like any other Product page in your Magento 2 website. When you add considerable text to your Category page, the keyword density for your category rises. This improves the chances of your site’s better SERP ranking.
- When you plan to add content for Category page, take the best possible care of page design. Never try to compel the user to read a volume of your information. Place the text is a suitable position, which makes reading easier.
SEO for images
- Fill up the alt tag for every image with a suitable keyword. This tells search bots what an image is about. As a result, your image shows up in image searches.
- If your images are below 100 KB file size, your page gets loaded faster.
- Google just prefers rich-media content over any other alternative. If you’ve necessary resources under your command, consider including video content to your Product page. This will also help showing your products in video searches. Add the link to your Product page in the video description as well.
- While doing video content on your Magento 2 website, focus on the key products. It is also important to create a high-quality and informative video. While including the video content to your website, embed it for greater mileage.
The tips discussed above are provided by a renowned Magento 2 SEO agency in London. Follow these tips to outsmart your competitors and reap higher dividends.